Fish Ponds, Holnicote, Holnicote Estate

Record ID:  115453 / MNA167514
Record type:  Monument
Protected Status: None Recorded
NT Property:  Holnicote Estate; South West
Civil Parish:  Selworthy; West Somerset; Somerset
Grid Reference:  SS 910 458
Choose map:
Map Aerial
Choose labels:
No label ID SMR No.

Summary

the fishponds were dug in the late 1870s or 1880s, according to the map evidence.

Identification Images (0)

Monument Types

  • FISHPOND (Late 19th C - 1867 AD to 1900 AD)

Description

The fishponds were dug in the late 1870s or 1880s, according to the map evidence.They are in woodland known as the Paddock, immediately south of the River Aller and separated from Holnicote House by fields that were known as The Lawn. There are three ponds, fed by a leat from the River Aller (this was lengthened in the 1970s) and by springs which rise to the west of Ebshill Wood. The water level was controlled by sluices. The first map they are shown on is the 1889 OS Somerset Sheet XXXIV.7 (scale 1:2500). One pond has an island and a bridge gave access to it.

Condition: poor, the lack of maintenance has meant that the ponds have gradually infilled, the sluices were broken down when the ponds went out of use.

References

  • SZN48220 - Unpublished document: Isabel Richardson. 2001. Archaeological Survey of the Holnicote Estate, Somerset.

Designations

None Recorded

Other Statuses and References

None Recorded

Associated Events

  • ENA3149 - Field Survey, Archaeological Survey of the Holnicote Estate 2001

Associated Finds

None Recorded

Related Records

None Recorded