West Myne deserted farmstead is set on North Hill, east of Henner’s Combe.
Identification Images (0)
- FARMSTEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
West Myne deserted farmstead is set on North Hill, east of Henner’s Combe.It was abandoned before World War II when the area was used for tank training. The site of the farmhouse, threshing barn, roundhouse and other farm buildings can be clearly seen. The highest walls stand to 2m. Lower down, to the northwest are the remains of a linhay and yard, since used as a sheep dip. To the northeast are some platforms and a narrow path leading to the Minehead direction. The sequence of buildings and platforms may represent more than one farm, though map evidence back to the Tithe map only shows one.
The site could be the original site for Myne, as discussed for site 115433.
- SZN48220 - Unpublished document: Isabel Richardson. 2001. Archaeological Survey of the Holnicote Estate, Somerset.
Other Statuses and References
- ENA3149 - Field Survey, Archaeological Survey of the Holnicote Estate 2001