Stable Court is located to the north of Green Court and to the west of the Queen’s Court and Brewhouse Yard. It is approximately square in plan, measuring c.32mE/W x c.34mN/S and the ground level slopes markedly from the south to the north-east corner. The courtyard is enclosed by the Garage Block/Barn on its northern side, by the Stable Block to the east, the King’s Stables to the south, and (partly) by the northern extension of the main west front and garages to the west. At the north-west corner is an entrance archway to the park, formed between the barn and the single storey garage range. Access to the Green Court is provided by a passageway at the west end of the southern range while doorways at the north and south of the Stables to the east give access to the Brewhouse Yard and Queen’s Court respectively.
Identification Images (1)
- COURTYARD (Medieval to Late 19th C - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Paved service courtyard on the northern side of the complex, surrounded by former stables buildings, garages and the barn. The ground surface slopes down from south to north reflecting the natural ground slope. This courtyard is not open to the public - the surrounding ranges to the east, south and west are used for maintenance purposes and staff / family accomodation.
- SNA64037 - National Trust Report: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent: An Archaeological Survey.
- SNA64038 - Conservation Plan: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Kent: Conservation Management Plan Vol. 1. 1.
- SNA64039 - Conservation Plan: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Kent: Conservation Management Plan Vol. 2. 2.
- SNA69723 - National Trust Report: Museum of London Archaeology. 2017. Archaeological Watching Brief at Knole: Barn and Courtyards.
Other Statuses and References
- ENA5636 - Field Survey, An Archaeological Survey: Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent
- ENA10661 - Non Archaeological Intervention, Excavation, Building Survey and Investigation of Under-Floor Archaeology at Knole, Kent (Inspired by Knole)