The centre of the east range is dominated by the mass of Bourchier’s Tower, providing the principal access into Stone Court, the entrance courtyard of the original house.
Identification Images (1)
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Broad and low, of two storeys with wide, rectangular three-storey flanking towers and subsidiary garderobe turrets appended at its corners. It measures c.19mN/S x c.11.6mE/W and stands to a height of 14.20m to the top of its crenellations, with an additional 18th century tower rising a further 2m, supporting the belfry that was moved here from the roof of the great hall in 1745. Vertical circulation is provided by polygonal stair turrets projecting from the eastern elevation, symmetrically to either side of the central gateway.
- SNA64037 - National Trust Report: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent: An Archaeological Survey.
- SNA64038 - Conservation Plan: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Kent: Conservation Management Plan Vol. 1. 1.
- SNA64039 - Conservation Plan: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Kent: Conservation Management Plan Vol. 2. 2.
Other Statuses and References
- ENA5636 - Field Survey, An Archaeological Survey: Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent