In its present form, the western range of Green Court north of the gatehouse is of two storeys with utilisable attic space over (recently refurbished). To Green Court, the elevation is of Kentish ragstone throughout, crenellated, with regular fenestration of single, three-light windows under four-centred heads set between three doorways, located to the north, centre and south. Much of the current layout dates to Phase 4A remodelling of Knole, when the elevation was lengthened with the addition of the northern stable block (bounding the west side of Stable Court), the shaped gables were introduced to the west elevation, the brick stacks erected and the fenestration renewed throughout. Three lead rainwater hoppers and down-pipes are inscribed TD (Thomas Dorset) and bear the date 1607.
Identification Images (0)
- ARCHBISHOPS PALACE (Undated)
Only limited archaeological investigations have been undertaken within this range.
In 2001, Canterbury Archaeological Trust monitored works in two first floor spaces F35 and F36 during refurbishment. An early seventeenth century decorated (inserted) fireplace was uncovered beneath later blocking in Room F35 (flat kitchen) and stripping back in Room F36 (at the rear of the range overlooking Green Court) for conversion to a modern bathroom revealed that the space had originally been the location of a newel stair, rising from ground floor to attic level.
- SNA64037 - National Trust Report: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent: An Archaeological Survey.
- SNA64038 - Conservation Plan: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Kent: Conservation Management Plan Vol. 1. 1.
- SNA64039 - Conservation Plan: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Knole, Kent: Conservation Management Plan Vol. 2. 2.
- SNA69122 - National Trust Report: Canterbury Archaeological Trust. 2001. The NE Range of Green Court, Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent: Historic Building Record and Watching Brief.
Other Statuses and References
- ENA5636 - Field Survey, An Archaeological Survey: Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent
- ENA10145 - Non Archaeological Intervention, The NE Range of Green Court, Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent: Historic Building Record and Watching Brief