Site of Nissen hut, Springhill

Record ID:  132374 / MNA160564
Record type:  Monument
Protected Status: Registered Park or Garden
NT Property:  Springhill; Northern Ireland
Civil Parish:  None Recorded
Grid Reference:  SH 8691 8246
Choose map:
Map Aerial
Choose labels:
No label ID SMR No.

Summary

Rectangular concrete foundation of former nissen hut in use 1942-1944.

Identification Images (0)

Monument Types

  • NISSEN HUT (Mid 20th C - 1942 AD to 1944 AD)

Description

Rectangular concrete foundation denoting the site of a former Nissen hut measuring c.9m by 4m. This is one of 5 similar hut foundations in close proximity to west side of tower hill at the southwest corner of the property. From 1942 the first regiment to arrive was the Berkshire Yeomanry, to be followed by the 119th Regiment Royal Artillery, and then American troops in the form of 112th Engineers (1942), Company L, 519th Quartermaster Regiment (from Dec 43), Company D, 544th Quartermaster Service Battalion (Colored) (17 Oct 43-27 Dec 43) and 3991st Quartermaster Truck Company (Colored) (23 Dec 43-18 May 44). The house was derequisitioned in December, 1944 and German prisoners were used at Tower Hill to tidy Camp and cut up the big trees, which the soldiers had barked and killed.

References

None Recorded

Designations

None Recorded

Other Statuses and References

None Recorded

Associated Events

None Recorded

Associated Finds

None Recorded

Related Records