A well-built, probably late 19th century farmhouse, part of a large complex of buildings.
Identification Images (0)
- FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
From NT VBS Yorkshire 1015 Building 1:
"The present farmhouse was built in the late 19th century. The building is shown on the OS 1910 25", but not on the 1854 6".
Almost symmetrical, the south front has the typical arrangement found in the dale; a roughly central "front" door with a window above it and a window on each side on both floors. The plan is an "L" shaped variant of the usual rectangular form with two main rooms on either side of the central staircase with service rooms behind. In this case the living room is deeper than the parlour which has a larder in the N side entered from the kitchen. The kitchen, lying behind the living room, projects on the N side of the building. The living room ceiling has exposed sawn joists which are champered but not stopped. The first floor has two "double" and two "single" bedrooms and a bathroom over the kitchen,
Externally, walls are in coursed sandstone rubble. The roof is pantiled with sandstone ridges and gable copings, notable for their "scroll" terminations at the kneelers. The valley gutter is formed in lead. There are three chimneys, one on each gable wall. All have plinths and moulded cappings and the gable copings are carried through horizontally beneath them. On the E side there are four mullioned windows which presumably came from the previous house (cf buildings 31600 and 31607). The "back" door is situated in the re-entrant formed by the projecting kitchen. The ground is raised outside it to form a level platform which is retained by rubble walls. A stone bench is positioned on the N wall of the kitchen as is the fuel oil storage tank. Windows are all casements with glazing bars except for the larder window which has a fixed bottom light and a bottom hung inward opneing top light.
The VBS also contains a copy of the RCHME survey report (Oct 1978), and a certain amount of historical and social information -.
Property Survey information :
According to the 1782 survey, William Petch was the tenant of this 62 acre holding . The Petch family remained tenants until after 1848, although the Hugills and later the Stricklands, through marriage to Hannah Hugill, may have had an involvement in the farm. Between 1814 and 1828 land was added to the holding, mostly from Yoad Hurst, so that by 1828 the farm covered 102 acres, making it one of the largest in the dale at this time  .
The 1910 valuation notes that the present farmhouse was built "about 1909", and the original plans and elevations survive  .
Site visit 27/01/2000:
The present tenant, Mr Robson, reports that he was told by a man named Mr Underwood that he had moved into the newly-built house in c.1910. The windows have all been replaced.
Site visit 12/07/2000:
No change .
- SZU1068 - Vernacular Building Survey: A Menuge. 1987. NT VBS Yorkshire 1015: Spout House Farm, Bransdale.. Building 1.
- SZU15844 - Photograph - black and white: A Menuge. 01/05/1987. Spout House farmhouse, South Front. 2.
- SZU18934 - Photograph - black and white: A Menuge. 01/05/1987. Spout House farmhouse, from SE. 3.
- SZU36681 - Photograph - black and white: A Menuge. 01/05/1987. Spout House farmhouse, from NW. 4.
- SZU38705 - Photograph - black and white: A Menuge. 01/05/1987. General view of Spout House farm from the SE. 1.
- SZU50001 - Unpublished document: Ed Dennison. 2001. Archaeological Property Survey, Bransdale.
- SZU50018 - Document: Tukes and Ayre. 1828. 1828 Survey of Farndale and Bransdale.
- SZU50022 - Document: 1909-10. 1909-10 Valuation.
- SZU50037 - Document: J Tuke. 1782. 1782 Survey of Bransdale and Farndale.
- SZU50048 - Document: 1814. 1814 Farndale and Bransdale field book (vol 3).
- SZU50859 - Digital Image: Ed Dennison. 12/07/2000. Farmhouse, Spout House.
- SZU51706 - Document: c.1909. Proposed plan for new farmhouse at Mr Underwoods, Bransdale.
Other Statuses and References
- ENA3857 - Field Survey, Archaeological Property Survey
- ENA3869 - Field Survey, Vernacular Building Survey, Spout House Farm, Bransdale, 1987 (Ref: 1015)