Remains of coastguard station built in 1900
Identification Images (0)
- COASTGUARD STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
The remains of a coastguard station on Hurlstone Point. It is set on a concrete base, is two storeys in height and the walls and brick fireplace survive well. The roof was removed and the doors blocked for health and safety reasons. The upper floor has also been removed. The building is 7.6m x 5.7m. The station was built in 1900 by Huish and Cooksley of Porlock, and it functioned until after World War II. There was a rocket warning signal and rescue equipment there. Semaphore was used to signal up and down the coast.
- SZN48220 - Unpublished document: Isabel Richardson. 2001. Archaeological Survey of the Holnicote Estate, Somerset.
Other Statuses and References
- Conservation Area
- National Park
- ENA3149 - Field Survey, Archaeological Survey of the Holnicote Estate 2001