Located at the head of the incline to Porth Wen Brickworks. The remains of the winding house comprising 2 lateral mortared walls of rubble masonry, splayed at the bases
Identification Images (0)
- WINDER HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Located at the head of the incline to Porth Wen Brickworks. The remains of the winding house comprising 2 lateral mortared walls of rubble masonry, splayed at the bases; c.4.5m in length, 0.95m wide and the tallest walling remains up to a height of c.3m. The square drive shaft and bearings remain, complete with 3 cast iron wheels of 8 spokes; the widest heel (to N) has a diameter of c.2m, the others are slightly smaller wheels of c.1.5m diameter. To the front (E) of the drive shaft is a large timber beam c.0.5m deep x 0.2 wide which has a controlling mechanism at far right (N) end; a similar beam is no longer in situ but remains on the ground at the site. There are large cracks ion the masonry below the beam ends.
The incline and winding house appear on the 1st edition OS map, 1889, and appears to be 2 track incline. The winding house marking the termination of the 2nd incline track, though the lines of the track bed are marked as continuing to a quarry to W (disused). By 1900 it was believed that the site was disused, and although marked on the OS map of that year as 'Brickworks', no kilns were identified. The 1924 edition shows the site much as it stands today, though the winding house was not shown on the ;later 25" map edition
- SZO50050 - National Trust Report: The Muckle Patnerhship. 2002. Archaeological Survey of Bryn Llewelyn, Anglesey, The Muckle Partnership 2002 for the National Trust.
Scheduled Monument: Porth Wen Brickworks (AN109)
Other Statuses and References
- ENA2975 - Field Survey, Archaeological Survey of Bryn Llewelyn, Anglesey, The Muckle Partnership 2002