Site of windmill which burnt down in 1911. The iron arm shaft still survives, mounted on short pillars.
Identification Images (0)
- POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Site of windmill. The mill is on the 1806 OS surveyor's drawing but not on the 1795 Gardner and Gream map. It burnt down in 1911 in a fire which burnt the whole of Sullington Warren. Historically it was called The White Mill, also Warren Mill and Crowhurst's Mill after the miller. It is shown as a corn mill on the O.S. 25 inch map of 1875.
The mill was a post mill, weatherboarded and painted white. It had an open base, no round house. It stood on top of the hill on open heathland and was a local landmark. The area now is grown over with trees and it is difficult to imagine the sight the white mill must have been.
The area where it stood appears to be surrounded by a ditch. The enclosed area is approx. 32m.This ditch feature has some deeper hollows in places around it, perhaps indicating some local digging of the gravel quite recently (19th/20th century).
Now the only relict is the windshaft which held the sails. This lay where it fell in the fire until the Sandgate Preservation Society raised it onto concrete pillars in 1978.
- SZL18059 - Photograph - colour: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - Windshaft of windmill mounted on concrete pillars. 2M. 26.
- SZL46075 - Slide: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - field boundary bank and ditch south side. 2M. 25.
Other Statuses and References
- HER/SMR Reference (External): 2668
- Site of Special Scientific Interest (Biological)