This 14th century gatehouse was used as the seat and courthouse for the manor until its function changed to a school house in 1624.
Identification Images (0)
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval to Early 17th C - 1300 AD to 1623 AD)
- SCHOOL (Early 17th C to Late 18th C - 1624 AD to 1790 AD)
Cartmel priory gatehouse is described as being 15th century (Stockdale, J). It was used as the seat and courthouse of the manor until 1624 when it was sold as a school (Clare, T. 1980). The earliest date for this site is considered to be the 14th century with later architectural additions to the structure. There is an undated statue of the virgin in an external niche (Pevsner, N. 1969). This is a simple building with a high archway and two long windows of the ogee lights high up. The gable side has a stepped 17th century window. The interior room is reached by a stone spiral staircase, the first floor is heated by a large fireplace. The site was used as a school until 1790 when it was sold to a James Stockdale, it was given to the National Trust in 1946. The roof was stripped and re-slated in 1964. The east window was replaced by an exact replica to the original window dated to 1624. In 1984 the first floor room was redecorated with Ox-blood lime wash. Below the east window is a single ogee-shaped window, the remains of a similar window on the west side is half blocked. Two light ogee-shaped windows can be seen in the north and south walls opposite each other. Externally the niche for the statue is above the apex of the arch on the south wall. There are doors on both sides on the inside of the archway (English Heritage 1986). This site is described as "The priory gatehouse" was built in the 14th century as the main entrance to Cartmel Priory was used as a grammar school in 1624 (Victoria History of the Counties of England: Lancashire, 1914, Vol 8).
- SZI10563 - Serial: Anon. Architectural Review. 12.
- SZI130 - Monograph: National Trust. The National Trust Cartmel Priory Gatehouse Guide Leaflet.
- SZI2409 - Monograph: Nikolaus Pevsner. 1969. North Lancashire: the Rural North.
- SZI3316 - Monograph: English Heritage. English Heritage Records Office: Schedule Ancient Monuments Record Core Print Form.
- SZI4646 - Document: J Stockdale. Annals of Stockdale.
- SZI6796 - Monograph: R O Neill. 1923. Cartmel Priory Gate House (Guide Book).
- SZI7963 - Monograph: J Willis Clark. Customs of the Augustinian Canons.
- SZI8053 - Document: T Clare. 1980. Archaeological Sites of the Lake District.
- SZI8172 - Document: DOE. 1962. Listed Buildings Description: North Lonsdale Road, Lancs.
- SZI88 - Photocopy: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Antiquity Cards.
- SZI9118 - Monograph: W Farrer, J Brownbill. 1914. The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster. 8.
- SZI9987 - Article in serial: Anon. Text appearing in Cumbria magazine.
- SZI9988 - Unpublished document: B L Thompson. 1945. Cartmel Priory Gatehouse Lancashire Report.
Other Statuses and References
- Environmentally Sensitive Area
- HER/SMR Reference (External): 2403
- National Monuments Record Reference: SD37NE7.2
- National Park