These houses, 25-31 Church St and 17 Market Hill, date from between the 14th and 17th centuries and are situated on Saffron Walden: Sun Inn property.
Identification Images (0)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Mid 16th C - 1300 AD to 1540 AD)
- HOUSE (Mid 16th C to Late 17th C - 1540 AD to 1676 AD)
This group of houses (25-31 Chruch Street and 17 Market Hill) mostly date from the 14th and 15th centuries. There are four of them with oversailing gables, curved brackets, moulded bressumers and 17th century plaster decoration - geometrical pattern, foliage, birds and figures. One of the houses (formerly the Sun Inn) bears the date 1676 and contains figures of Thomas Hickathrift and the Wisbech giant. They are situated in Saffron Walden.
- SZD3023 - Monograph: RCHME. 1921. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Vol. 2. II.
- SZD6428 - Listed Buildings Schedule (Greenback): DOE. 1972. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- SZD6429 - Monograph: Nikolaus Pevsner. 1965. The Buildings of England: Essex.
Other Statuses and References