Possible buried remains of building under The Green, Old Blundell's School.
Identification Images (0)
- BUILDING (Earlier than, Unknown to Mid 17th C)
Considerable activity appears to have occurred on the School Green. In 1649 the Assize met in a building on the Green, which Mahood (1952) suggests was comparable in size to the Upper School, though no traces are now apparent, it is believed to have been sited on the School's old 'Fives' Court. In 1817 the Green was levelled and drained while in 1841 the 'Fives' Court was built over when the new buttresses were constructed against the front of the School. The 'Fives' Court was moved to the SE Corner of the Green.
- SZB52312 - National Trust Report: The National Trust. 1984. Old Blundell's School, Devon. 1984.
Other Statuses and References
- HER/SMR Reference (External): SS91SE-047-02
- ENA227 - Field Survey, The National Trust Archaeological Survey