Largest round barrow on the eastern ridge. Part of the barrow cemetary on two greensand ridges here.
Identification Images (0)
- BARROW CEMETERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Circular mound about 26m diameter and up to 2m high. There is a stone seat and pillar on the top. There may be a ditch but this cannot be seen, having been infilled and also obscured by heather grwoth. The mound is covered in heather mainly although there is a lot of gorse scrub on the western side. This is the largest barrow on this ridge. Whether this denotes status or not is unknown.
Presumably because of its large size it was chosen by several persons and organisations as a suitable position for memorials. There is a stone pillar around which a seat has been constructed. The pillar has a now very eroded stone in its top which is almost illegible - In Memory of Edward ?.... - it looks possibly of 18th century type style. Around this there is a solid stone platform with a seat.
A memorial seat to Sir Edward Cook was built on top of the large barrow in 1956.
In the pillar has been inserted a plaque reading - This plaque records our thanks to / Miss Enid Clarke-Williams / Secretary of the National Trust / local committee 1935 - 77 and / prime mover behind the national / appeal for the purchase of 28 acres / of Sullington Warren in 1935. / Sandgate Preservation Society 1978. This was to commemorate Miss Clarke-Williams' retirement from the committee. The plaque was inserted on 1/1/1978.
- SNA67508 - Report: National Trust. 2017. HAR Monument Condition Assessment, Sullington Warren Barrow (MNA126566).
- SZL11778 - Photograph - colour: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - Seat on barrow 121838 with plaque side showing. Scrub in background.. 14.
- SZL12247 - Slide: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - barrow 121838 showing seat on top, slight erosion around, scrub too. 2M. 16.
- SZL17100 - Photograph - colour: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - Barrow 121838, northern, scrubby side. 15.
- SZL22764 - Slide: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - barrow 121838 showing scrubby north side. 17.
- SZL33286 - Photograph - colour: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - Path up barrow 121838 reinstated one year, pale colour. 2M. 13.
- SZL41564 - Photograph - colour: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - low barrow 121837 with 121838 in background. 2M. 12.
- SZL43509 - Slide: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - barrow 121838 showing pale coloured made up, slightlyeroded path. 2M. 15.
- SZL47362 - Photograph - colour: Joy Ede. 01/11/1997. Sullington - Barrow 121836 in foreground, 121838 in background - eastern ridge barrows. 08.
- SZL4896 - Monograph: J Dallaway. 1815. A History of the western division of the County of Sussex. 2.
- SZL7643 - Article in serial: L V Grinsell. 1940. Sussex Barrows Supplementary Paper. 82.
Other Statuses and References
- HER/SMR Reference (External): 2543
- National Monuments Record Reference: TQ01SE13C/393083
- Site of Special Scientific Interest (Biological)
- ENA2109 - Non Archaeological Intervention, Rebuilt path up to stone seat on top of barrow, Sullington Warren
- ENA2113 - Non Archaeological Intervention, Various attempts over the years to control erosion on the path up to the seat on the barrow, Sullington Warren
- ENA2114 - Non Archaeological Intervention, Stone seat repaired twice, in 1985 and 1997, last time by contractors. Sullington Warren
- ENA8964 - Heritage Assessment, HAR Monument Condition Assessment, Sullington Warren Barrow (MNA126566)