This pumping engine house is situated at Wheal Coates.
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
The pumping engine house was built in 1872 to keep this working free of water. Higher up the cliffs there are other engine houses for winding and the operation of the stamps.
All the buildings were constructed for a specific purpose (see Section 8, Plans one, two and three in Appendix) related to Wheal Coates and represent the continual development of this mining operation. Large amounts of mining spoil have been deposited over the area, partially, or possibly completely, burying many earlier features (Bemaish, H. 1984).
- SZC10792 - Monograph: Anon. 1873. Kelly's Directory of Cornwall.
- SZC5295 - Monograph: H G Ordish. 1967. Cornish Engine Houses. FIRST.
- SZC690 - Monograph: H G Dines and J Phemister. 1956. The Metalliferous Mining Region of South West England Vol. l. (1988).
- SZC8188 - Serial: Anon. 1838. Annual Reports of the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society Falmouth no 105.
- SZC9478 - Unpublished document: National Trust. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Chapel Porth.
- Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Heritage Coast
- Site of Special Scientific Interest (Geological)
- World Heritage Site: 17