Gate and Porters Lodges
Identification Images (0)
- GATE (Late 17th C to Unknown - 1695 AD (post))
- PORTERS LODGE (Built, Late 17th C to Unknown - 1695 AD)
The School and walled green are on a plot orientated NE-SW, with the entrance gateway and front of the school facing NE. The main entrance is through the gateway on Station Road which is on the central axis of the walled enclosure. It is suggested (DOE 1972) that the one-storey lodges either side of the gate and the iron gate beneath a semi-circular arch all date from 1695. There is said to have been an earlier wooden gate (NT 1984).
An inscription over the gateway on a tablet says that the school was built by Peter Blundell in 1604 'aetatis suae 81' (Amery 1900-1901)
- SZB52312 - National Trust Report: The National Trust. 1984. Old Blundell's School, Devon. 1984.
Other Statuses and References
- HER/SMR Reference (External): SS91SE-047-01
- ENA227 - Field Survey, The National Trust Archaeological Survey